Curriculum Vitae

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Pursuit of Practice

As a community college English teacher, I require that my students write—a lot.  I nurture a classroom culture that encourages each student to record his or her thoughts for future assignments or for the simple act of waking up the brain.  As a concerned and reflective teacher, I am bothered by the fact that I don’t write nearly as much as I did in years past, especially when I was a college student.  I fear being hypocritical for not following the writing advice that I give in the classroom: write often; I also fear that my writing skills have weakened from a lack of use.  How can I improve as a writing teacher if I don’t write? It is time for me to follow the advice that I give my students, so I have decided to write.  I have started this blog to track my pursuit of writing practice.  I don’t have any hard-set guidelines for my writing on this blog, but I hope to use this space to reflect on teaching, brainstorm for PhD research, and wake up my brain.  If you choose to follow this blog, I hope my efforts inspire you to the pursuit of practice, no matter your craft or medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment